Saturday, October 29, 2011

Clarendon Hotel

Clarendon hotel
The Clarendon Hotel is located at 347 Hunter Street in Newcastle. It was purchased by Tooth & Company in September 1934 and sold in August 1985. On completion of rebuilding the Clarendon hotel in January 1943 the hotel was a three storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior and an asbestos and malthoid roof.

The architects were Pitt & Merewether and the style was known as Art Moderne or P & O Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.



The Australian National University has many interesting historical photos of Inter War hotels including the Clarendon hotel in the Noel Butlin Archives. Some examples of these can be found on the following links:


Public bar

Upper lounge bar

Dining room



More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Pymble Hotel

Pymble hotel
This Art Deco hotel is located at 1134 Pacific Highway in Pymble. The Pymble Hotel is yet another interwar Art Deco hotel built in 1939 whose outstanding feature is the sun ray brickwork design on the front and side facades. Each brick has been individually shaped to form each radiating ray on the feature.

The Art Deco hotel decoration is very similar to that of the Zetland hotel. It shares the prominant vertical decoration on the facade (albeit smaller), leadlight windows and cream tiles.

Brick sun ray design

Pymble hotel sun ray design

Variation of front facade motif at the side entrance

Pymble hotel side entrance

Leadlight window

Leadlight window

Street level tiles

Pymble street level tiles




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Hotel Gearin

Hotel Gearing
The Hotel Gearin at 1-1a Goldsmith Place (off Great Western Highway) in Katoomba was established in 1881 with additions being made in 1919 and 1927. It is a beautiful example of the interwar Art Deco period. Originally built by George Biles, the Hotel Gearin was bought and named in 1910 by one Mrs Gearin who operated it as a guest house for women. It is said her ghost still haunts the building. The centrepiece of the hotel is its classic Australian “Long Bar” of the period.

The Hotel Gearin was bought by Australian actor Jack Thompson in 2006 and it was a popular live music venue. In 2011 Thompson decided to sell the Hotel Gearin because it wasn't becoming the social hub he imagined.

Facade detail

Gearin hotel facade detail

More facade detail

Gearin hotel facade detail

Source - Hotel Gearin




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Knickerbocker Hotel

Knickerbocker hotel
The Knickerbocker Hotel located in Bathurst at 110 William Street is a famous Bathurst interwar Functionalist hotel was built in 1938.

The Knickerbocker hotel is listed in the RAIA Registry of Significant 20th Century Buildings.

An interesting feature is the glass brick feature up the building stairwell which allows natural lighting of what would otherwise be a dark and dingy stairway to the seconf floor rooms.

Another view of the hotel

Knickerbocker hotel building




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

West Ryde Hotel

West Ryde hotel
The West Ryde Hotel, at 1021 Victoria Road in West Ryde, is another suburban interwar hotel that has had major renovations which have all but erased the original interwar design features and fittings.

There has been an effort made to introduce a modern deco feel into their new graphic although it sits uncomfortably on the hotel facade along with the original design.

Facade detail

West Ryde hotel facade detail




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Salisbury Hotel

The Salisbury Hotel
The Salisbury Hotel at 112 Percival Street in Stanmore has proved a very difficult subject to research.

Thanks to a reader I have learned that it was constructed as a Federation building (date unknown) and was rebuilt in 1935 by H.E. Ross & Rowe architects. The facade was extensively modified and the interior changed to allow for a better service during the "six-o'clock swill". A garage was also added at the back .

I would appreciate any information you may be able to provide to add to this post.


Facade detail

Salisbury hotel facade detail

Ceiling light in the hotel

Salisbury hotel ceiling light





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Lakes Hotel

The Lakes Hotel
The Lakes Hotel at 307 Gardiners Road in Rosbery is a handsome interwar period Functionalist style suburban hotel built in 1938.

The curved wall corners in the upstairs verandah provide an expansive feeling to the building and balance well with the stepped roof line from the main front facade.

It has excellent live jazz weekends.

I have been unable to find who the architect was or any of its early history.

Facade detail

Lakes hotel facade detail

Upstairs verandah detail

Lakes hotel verandah detail




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Grand Hotel


The Grand Hotel at 484 Princes Highway in Rockdale was rebuilt by Tooth and Company in 1941 to a design by Rudder and Grout.

The large and imposing circular brick facade with in built verandahs and strong horizontal lines make good use of the small corner site. The style of the building is similar the Union Hotel in Newtown and the Rosebery Hotel in Rosebery.

Facade detail

Grand hotel facade detail




View the following historical photographs from the Noel Butlin Archives Centre at the ANU;
- Public bar

- Saloon bar






More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Hensen Park Hotel

Hensen Park hotel
The Henson Park Hotel at 91 Illawarra Road in Marrickville was designed by Sidney Warden and built in 1936 on the original site of the Town Hall Hotel by Tooth and Company.

It was threatened with closure in 2007 but strong support from locals made council reject the development.

Facade detail

Hensen Park hotel facade detail

Window detail

Hensen Park hotel window detail

Sources;
- NSW Government "History of the suburbs"

- Parlimentary submission



View the following historical photographs from the Powerhouse Museum;

- Public Bar

- Private Dining room

- The hotel in 1936





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Bank Hotel

The Bank Hotel
The Bank Hotel at 324 King Street in Newtown was established in 1880 as the Bank Hotel and has never changed its name. It is a good example of a Victorian Hotel with alterations dating from the key period of hotel rebuilding in the Federation and interwar periods.

in 1934 major alterations were made to the building with an art deco facade being added on by architect V.J. Davis.

Facade detail

Bank hotel facade detail

More facade detail

More bank hotel facade detail

Source - Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Eastwood Hotel

Eastwood hotel
The Eastwood Hotel is located at 115 Rowe Street in Eastwood and was designed by Rudder and Grout and built in 1939 by Tooth and Company. The hotel is listed in the RAIA Register of significant 20th century buildings. Another good example of an nterwar period Art Deco hotel.

In 2007 it was purchased by the Iris Hotel Group for $35 million. Not bad for a suburban pub!

Facade detail

Eastwood hotel facade detail

Sources - Sydney Hotels & Leisure




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Zanzibar Hotel

Zanzibar Hotel
The Zanzibar Hotel at 323 King Street in Newtown occupies the site of John Webster’s New Town store which existed there in the early 1800s and was where the name Newtown originated.

The hotel was established as the Daniel Webster Hotel in 1863 and later renamed the Oxford Hotel in 1875. It has some nice Art Deco ornament on the facade which was probably added during the 1930s.

In the 1980’s it was renamed the Oxford Tavern and after major refurbishments with an African theme circa 2001-2002 was renamed the Zanzibar.

King street facade

Zanzibar hotel King street facade

Facade detail

Zanzibar hotel facade detail

Sources;

- Sydney Archives - Newtown project

- GDay Pubs Australia





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Petersham Inn

The Petersham Inn
The Petersham Inn at 386 Parramatta Road in Petersham is a fine interwar hotel was designed by Rudder and Grout to replace the existing hotel on the site which had been purchased by Tooth and Company in the 1930s.

In 1940 a major extension to the Phillip street side was built called the Western Lounge. It featured a dramatic Art Deco tower designed by Leslie Soden and remains a local landmark today. A small plaque to the right of the tower notes this information.

In 2001 the site was redeveloped to include 92 luxury apartments and studios while maintaining the hotel's original heritage.

Petersham Inn facade detail

Petersham Inn facade detail

Petersham Inn side entrance

Petersham Inn side entrance

Entrance doors

Petersham Inn entrance doors

Commemorative plague outside side entrance

Petersham Inn commemorative plaque

Sources;
- Sydney Heritage Listings

- Citadel Property Group newsletter




View the following historical photos from Noel Butlin archives at the ANU;

- The hotel in 1938

- Lounge Serving Bar

- Lounge Bar

- Public Bar

- Saloon Bar





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Pier Hotel

The Pier hotel
The heritage listed Pier Hotel at 1751 Botany Road in Banksmeadow was purchased by Tooth and Company in December 1917.

A new building design by architect R G Simpson was completed in November 1940 in the interwar period Functionalist style.


Sources;
- Botany Bay Heritage Listings



View the following historical photographs from the Noel Butlin Archives Centre at the ANU;

- Public bar

- Saloon bar





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Bondi Junction Hotel

Bondi Junction Hotel
Now known as the Eastern Hotel, the former Bondi Junction Hotel at 512 Oxford Street in Bondi Junction was built by Tooth & Company Limited. It was designed by Rudder and Grout after the license was transferred from the Queens Hotel, Woollahra in December 1941. Its construction was completed in 1942.

The Bondi Junction hotel now sits in Oxford Street overshadowed by multi-storeyed office towers and shopping complexes. Hooray for heritage!

Facade detail of the hotel

Facade detail of Bondi Junction hotel

More facade detail

Bondi Junction hotel facade detail





View the following historical photographs from the Noel Butlin Archives Centre at the ANU;

Public bar (1)

Public bar (2)

Saloon bar

Lounge





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Friend in Hand Hotel

The Friend in Hand hotel
The Friend in Hand Hotel is located at 58 Cowper Street in Glebe. Tooth and Company aquired the original hotel on the site around 1921 and plans for a new hotel, prepared by architect R.M. Joy, were submitted to Council in 1936 and the new building was completed in 1937.

The hotel is one of many Sydney hotels built in the interwar Functionalist Style and is made further indicative of the period through the use of Art Deco overtones.

It is a very cosy hotel with an intimate, friendly atmosphere and great Bistro.


Facade detail of the Friend in Hand hotel

Friend in Hand hotel facade detail

The public bar is cosy and has lots of character

Cosy public bar at the Friend in Hand

Source - Sydney City Council




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Golden Barley Hotel

The Golden Barley hotel
The Golden Barley Hotel at 165-169 Edgeware Road in Enmore was opened in 1939 and was designed by architects Joy and Pollit.

It is recognised in the RAIA Reister of Significant 20th Century Buildings as a prime example of Art Deco architecture. Many original features are still in evidence throughout the hotel particularly upstairs.

Golden Barley facade detail

Golden Barley hotel facade detail

Public bar ceiling

Golden barley hotel public bar ceiling

Public bar

Golden Barley public bar




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Rozelle Hotel

The Rozelle hotel
The Rozelle Hotel at 118-122 Victoria Road in Rozelle was established in 1938 with the licence of the former Norfolk Pine Hotel.

The name was changed to the Balmain Hotel in 1990.

The Hotel was closed in 1996 and is now used for commercial purposes.

Rozelle hotel facade detail

Rozelle hotel facade detail

Source - Gidday Pubs




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.