Friday, October 30, 2009

Motor Traders Association

Motor Traders Association building
This building at 43-51 Brisbane Street, Surry Hills, was the former 20th Century Fox Film Corporation Building and reflected the growing importance of cinema for mass entertainment and information in the 1930s. It was designed in 1939 by T W Hodgson & Sons and was constructed by Robert Wall & Sons for the Fox Film Corporation.

The choice of this site records the importance of this area of the city as an early focus for the film industry. It is representative of the functionalist tradition, stripped down to the essentials of form and materials, which emerged as a powerful influence in architectural practice in the 1930s. Interest is added by the Art Deco elaboration of the entry. It is significant as an example of the use of glazed terracotta tiles in low scale building.

The significance of the building is enhanced by its proximity to other extant film industry related buildings such as the Paramount Studios building next door and the Hollywood Hotel.

Detail at rear of the building

Rear detail of MTA House

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sydney Water Building

Sydney Water Building
The Sydney Water building at 339-341 Pitt Street in the Sydney CBD was built by Howie Moffat & Co to a design by Budden and Mackey in 1939.

The building exhibits elaborate use of various coloured granite and marble finishes. Architectural terracotta tiles and bands of bronze and copper elements plus the associated bronze windows and curved fenestration to the corner make this building one of the most exquisite examples of the Art Deco style and detail in Sydney, if not Australia.

Bas relief panels, sculpted by Stanley Hammond, are strategically placed above the entrance in Pitt Street which depict the water industry and its progression of technology.

Detail of the facade

Metro Water facade detail

Relief sculpture detail

Relief sculpture detail

More facade detail

More facade detail on Metro Water building

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

MLC Building

MLC building
The Mutual Life & Citizens building located at 38-46 Martin Place in the Sydney CBD is now known as the Henry David York building. It was also known as the Minter Ellison building.

The Mutual Life & Citizens building is aesthetically significant as one of the best interwar commercial office buildings in Sydney. It is also the best example in Australia of the exterior use of Egyptian-derived motifs in such buildings.

The building was designed by Bates Smart & McCutcheon and built from 1936 - 1938.


MLC tower detail

MLC tower detail

Main entrance

MLC building main entrance

Foyer area

MLC foyer

Foyer cornice detail

MLC foyer cornice detail

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ateco Manufacturing Facility

Ateco Manufacturing Facility
The Ateco Manufacturing Facility is located at 634-726 Princes Highway in Tempe. The property consists of two lots that belonged to a widow from 1926 to 1940. THey were then purchased by the Perpetual Trustee Company who owned them until 1947.

New owners WD & HO Wills sold in 1954 to Penfolds Wines. Dalwood Vineyards then had them from 1956 to 1986. Penfold Management Services Pty Limited owned the Lots until 1994.

From 1995 to 2007 it belonged to Ateco Automotive Pty Limited and the current owner is Valad Commercial Management Limited.

The clock tower

Ateco clock tower

Source - Coffey Environmental Assesment




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Tea Gardens Hotel

Tea Gardens Hotel
The Tea Gardens Hotel is located at 2-4 Bronte Road, Bondi Junction. The original licence for a hotel on this site was issued in 1854. It was known as the Waverley Tea Gardens and was popular destination with day visitors when the trams first arrived in 1881.

The site was subdivided in 1874 and a second storey added. The building was remodelled in about 1940 to reflect the Art Deco style popular at the time.

Today the upstairs function area, Circa, has a sun-drenched deck built over the front awning which destroys the look of the hotel. The main room off the deck still retains many of its original art deco features.

Hotel corner facade

Hotel corner facade




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Blues Point Hotel

The Blues Point Hotel at 116 Blues Point Road, Milson's Point, was previously known as the North Shore Hotel and a direct successor to the hotel tradition on this site. It is an excellent example of interwar Functionalist Style.

The tiling is of notable quality on the curved surfaces of the outside walls of the building.

Blues Point Hotel

Nice tiling on walls

Nice tiling on walls




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Monday, October 26, 2009

Warehouse Building

The Global Self Storage building is located at 602 Botany Road, Rosebery. The building has no heritage listing but has interesting Art Deco brickwork on the front facade albeit a bit garishly painted.

602 Botany Road




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Kauri Foreshore Hotel

The Kauri Foreshore Hotel
The Kauri Foreshore Hotel is located at 2 Bridge Street, Glebe. Originally there was a two storey hotel known as the Grand Hotel on the site.

The name was changed in 1905 to the Kauri Hotel which may well have been a reflection of the timber handling activities which dominated the area.

The hotel was aquired by Tooth and company around 1929 and was rebuilt in 1939 to plans prepared by John M Hellyer and provides an example of the interwar Functionalist Style tempered with the popular Art Deco Style. Known as "A country pub in the city" the hotel has supported live music in one form or another for many years.

Facade detail

Kauri facade detail

Source Sydney Council heritage database




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Paramount Picture Studios

Paramount Picture Studios
Constructed in 1940 to a design by Herbert, Wilson & Pynor the former Paramount Picture Studios building at 53-55 Brisbane Street, Surry Hills, is one of few surviving buildings recording the boom in cinema development in the 1930s and its growing importance for mass entertainment and information.

The choice of site records the importance of this area of the city as an early focus for the film industry especially with the former 20th Century Fox building next door and the Hotel Hollywood just down the road.

It is significant for the use of glazed terracotta tiles in a low scale building.

Corner of the building

Corner of Paramount Picture Studios building

Source Sydney Heritage Listings





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Snow's Building

Snow's building
Snow's building is located within the Pitt Street streetscape at 360 Pitt Street in Sydney and is unusual for its grey and red terracotta faience tiled facade. The facade is six stories high with a mezzanine above the awning.

Snow's building was originally built for Peter Mathieson, a former tobacco merchant who had traded on the site since 1898. The building was destroyed by fire in 1916 and it wasn't until 1934 that Mathieson got a new design by the noted architectural partnership of Ross and Rowe. Building work did not commence until 1937 and the building was not completed until June 1938. In September 1938 Peter Mathieson leased 358-360 to Sydney Snow Ltd and in April 1954 his heirs sold the property to Snow Properties Ltd and it became known as Snow's building.

In February 1966 the property was leased to G J Coles & Co Ltd and is known as the Coles Fossey building.

Facade detail

Snow's facade detail

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Bank of China

Bank of China in Shanghai
Although a long way from Sydney I thought I would include this building in China.

The Bank of China building in Shanghai in the French Concession area is a great example of Art Deco styling adapted for use on a modern building.

The imaginative blending of modern glass and building materials with classic Art Deco styling has been achieved with great success.

The soaring vertical lines give the building a monumental feel while the detail in the facade and lamps is straight out of the 1930s.

Facade detail

Bank of China facade detail

More facade detail

China bank facade detail




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Telford Trust Building

Feltex house
The Telford Trust building at 261 George Street in the Sydney CBD is also known as Feltex House and Interocean House.

It was built in 1939 by Concrete Constructions Ltd and was designed by Adam, Wright & Apperly.

Originally only three storeys the building was sympathetically extended to nine storeys in 1961 by Buchanan, Felton and Lovell.

It is an outstanding example of InterWar Functionalist style and notable for its wide unbroken expanses of glass and horizontal spandrel panels curved at the street corner.

Facade detail

Feltex house facade

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Dorchester House

Dorchester House
Dorchester House at 149 Macquarie Street in Sydney was designed in 1936 by Aaron Bolot. Dorchester House is an elegant and slim building, the entire frontage being only twenty two feet.

Executed in red texture brick with keystones and bands featured in darker shades the eight storey building included professional offices and on the upper floors one and two bedroom apartments.

Another view of the building

Dorchester House

Source Woollahra Heritage Inventory




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

David Jones Market Street

The David Jones store at 65-77 Market Street in Sydney designed by Mackellar and Partridge and built by John Grant and Sons.

The building exhibits a very early use of aluminium for window frames and the street awning. It is a good example of the Functionalist style.

David Jones building

Castlereagh Street entrance

Castlereagh Street entrance

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Charles Plaza

Charles Plaza
Charles Plaza at 58-68 King Street in the Sydney CBD is an outstanding example of Art Deco design.

It stands as one of the earliest and most "pure" of Sydney's Art Deco skyscrapers. It is associated with a distinguished body of work by Hennessy, Hennessy & Co, who produced more office buildings in the 1930s than any other Sydney based company, particularly for the insurance industry (ACA, Colonial Mutual, Prudential).

It was constructed in 1938 by Concrete Constructions Co for the Australasian Catholic Assurances Society Ltd.

King Street entrance

King Street entrance

King Street foyer ceiling

King Street foyer ceiling

Interior Art Deco moulding

Interior Art Deco moulding

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Australian Provincial Asssurance Building

Australian Provincial Asssurance Building
Construction of the Australian Provincial Asssurance Building at 53-63 Martin Place in the Sydney CBD began in early June 1936 by Kell and Rigby builders following the calling of tenders in February the same year.

The building was designed by the architect David W. King who occupied a suite in the building for over thirty years and was largely responsible for ongoing maintenance and alterations to the building during this time.

A more detailed description of the building can be found following the "source" link below.

Facade detail

APA house facade detail

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Burley Griffin Incinerator

Burley Griffin Incinerator
The Burley Griffin Incinerator at 47-53 Forsyth Street in Glebe was designed by Walter Burley Griffin as a municipal incinerator, much smaller and simpler in design than the examples at Pyrmont and Willoughby.

A large Semi-circular stone structure nearby is in the same style as the stone base of incinerator. It was built 1933.


Facade detail

Incinerator facade

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.