Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Commonwealth Bank Bondi

This very handsome Art Deco bank building at 31 Hall Street in Bondi which is in the process of getting new tenants after the Commonwealth bank closed the branch.

Commonwealth Bank Bondi

Main entrance

Bondi branch main entrance

View of the branch before it closed

The branch around 2008





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Commonwealth Bank Drummoyne

Commonwealth Bank Drummoyne
The Commonwealth Bank Drummoyne branch was located at 204 Victoria Road in Drummoyne. In 1914, the Government Savings Bank engaged Mr W Schofield of Dalley Street, Sydney to demolish the old Fire Station that was originally on the site and to erect a new two storey brick building. The work was supervised by the Bank’s architects, Messrs H E Ross and Rowe.

The GSB merged with the Commonwealth Bank in December 1931 and in 1937 the branch interior was completely remodelled. The work was carried out by S J Campbell of Mortdale and was completed in October 1937.

Banking operations were transferred to a new building in Drummoyne in March 1982 and the old branch was sold in July 1982 for $253,110.00.

Facade detail

Bank building facade detail

The branch in 1937

Drummoyne branch in 1937

Source - Commonwealth Bank Archives




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Chaffers Dock - Wellington

Chaffers Dock - Wellington
Located in Herd Street, Wellington, on the waterfront next to Waitangi Park, Chaffers Dock (the former Post and Telegraph building) is a majestic example of Art Deco architecture. The original building was designed by the architect Edmund Anscombe and finished in 1939.

Postal services finished in the late 1980's and the current Chaffers Dock building was redeveloped into a mix of apartments, restaurants and shops. The imposing Chaffers Dock corner facade has been retained however the unsympathetic treatment of the waterfront side of the building leaves much to be desired.

Chaffer's Dock main facade

Chaffer's Dock main facade

Main corner entrance

Main corner entrance

Imposing corner facade

Imposing corner facade


Sources - Chaffers Dock information



More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Demco Machinery Company

Demco Machinery House
Located at 267 & 269-271 Cleveland Street Redfern the former Demco Machinery buildings occupy a site on the corner of Great Buckingham and Cleveland Streets adjacent to the Surrey Club Hotel.

The earlier building, at 271 Cleveland Street, was constructed circa 1911 as the Sydney Tobacco Coy Store which subsequently became John Barlow - Tea Merchants. Demco Machinery occupied the building from 1930.

The later building at 267 Cleveland St (cnr Great Buckingham) was constructed on the site of the former St Margaret's Hospital for Women Dispensary around 1940.

The entrance to the building is highlighted by a stepped parapet and wedge shaped frontispiece containing the building name - "Demco", flanked by ribbed rainwater heads, vertical glass panels on the stairwell, a projecting concrete awning and ribbed render columns that frame the entrance. The Buckingham Street building is a four storey interwar Functionalist style commercial building with concrete spandrel panels and large expanses of metal framed windows which continue around the corner which emphase the horizontal line.

Another view of the building

Demco machinery building

Facade detail

Democ Machinery house facade detail

Source City of Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Pioneer House

Pioneer House
Located at 128-140 Broadway in the Sydney suburb of Chippendale Pioneer House is largely intact and is a good example of an interwar Art Deco commercial building designed by Wright and Apperly Architects. The building makes a strong contribution to the Broadway Streetscape.

One of the nice aspects of Pioneer house is the brick detailing along the top of the front facade. The design is arranged symetrically about the axis of the prominant vertical triangular windows which combine to give a stately and monumental feel to the building without being garish.

More classic Art Deco touches can be found at ground level along the side of the building near the corner entry door in the form of inverted stepped pyramids. Overall Pioneer House is a well balanced building which, as stated previously, makes a great contribution to the Broadway streetscape in Chippendale.

View of the main facade

Pioneer house facade

Facade detail

Pioneer house facade detail

Corner entrance detail

Pioneer house corner entrance

Source City of Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

ACI House

ACI House
ACI House is located at 52-58 William Street in Woolloomooloo and is also known as Peejays House and Australian Consolidated Industries. Designed by the prominent archtectural practice of Stephenson and Turner with Arthur Baldwinson for the Head Office and showrooms for the glass manufacturers, Australian Consolidated Industries.

The building is listed in the RAIA Registry of Significant 20th Century Buildings and was completed in 1941.

Facade detail

ACI House facade detail

The entry foyer is very modern but maintains a classic Art Deco style and feel.

ACI House foyer

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Peek Frean Biscuit Factory

Peek Freans biscuit factory
Also known as the Vita-Weet building this heritage landmark located at 476 Parramatta Road in Ashfield was the Peek Frean Biscuit factory from 1935 to 1975. The building, designed by architects Ross & Rowe, was notable for its colossal cantilever concrete awning. The tower was added sometime after 1937 which changed the scale of the structure.

The building was sold to Consolidated Biscuits, owner of Arnott's biscuits, who operated there until 1993 when it was purchased by Havenmaze Ltd. Bunnings Hardware have operated on the site since 2001.

Clock tower detail

Clock tower

Sources;
- Library of NSW
- Ashfield Council record




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

The Unicorn Hotel

The Unicorn Hotel
The site at 106 Oxford Street Paddington on the corner of Hopewell street has had a hotel known as the Unicorn Hotel since the first half of the 1880s. Before this it was occupied by premises known as Croft’s Family Hotel. The Unicorn Hotel was purchased by Tooth and company in February 1936. It was rebuilt by Joy and Pollit architects and completed in August 1941.

The Unicorn Hotel was another iconic gay hotel on Oxford street. It had a superb Art Deco dining room with recessed lighting in the ceiling similar to the Albury hotel however it has been destroyed by the new owners. The architectual style was known as P & O Ship style because of the similaity to ocean liner forms. Its current incarnation as The Fringe Bar has an interior which is theatrical kitch with lots of red velvet drapes, mirrors and way too many crystal chandeliers over the bar.




Unicorn facade detail

Unicorn facade detail

Source City of Sydney Heritage Listings




Historical photographs from the Noel Butlin Archives Centre at the ANU;

- Public Bar (1)

- Public Bar (2)





More Art Deco info can be found at DecoWorks Pty Ltd.

The Light Brigade Hotel

The Light Brigade Hotel
Built in 1939, the Light Brigade Hotel is an exceptional example of Inter War Functionalist style commercial architecture designed by Sidney Warden which dominates the intersection at Jersey Road and Oxford Street in Paddington. It is a prominent landmark in this part of the street. Sidney Warden designed numerous Art Deco hotels around Sydney.

The Light Brigade is a hotel which has tried to maintain some of its Art Deco style when the owners renovated. The interior of the Light Brigade hotel is cosy with lots of period touches. There is a nice horse motif on the frosted glass door panels which has an interesting history outlined below. It is just one of the many fine details that are scattered around the hotel.

If you are ever in Paddington on a weekend it is well worth dropping in for a refreshment to enjoy the ambience.



View of the main bar

Main bar of the light brigade

Another view of the main bar

Another main bar view

The horse motif on the door glass panel (shown below) is a reproduction of a moulded glass car mascot designed by Rene Lalique. It was called "cinq cheveaux" (five horses) and was first introduced in 1925 after the Exposition Internationale des Arts Decoratifs et Industriels Modernes held in Paris.
It's inclusion in the decor of the Light Brigade hotel demonstrates the care and attention to detail that went into the refurbishment.

Window motif - Cinq Cheveaux

Cing Cheveaux window motif

Source City of Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco info can be found at DecoWorks Pty Ltd.

The Albury Hotel

The Albury Hotel
The Albury Hotel situated at 2a Oxford Street, Paddington, was once the premier gay hotel on Oxford street. It was famous for its drag shows, colourful personalities and one of the best piano bars in Sydney.

It is now a clothing store. Quite a sad outcome for such a pivotal social hub of the eighties and nineties.

The imposing two story cylindrical front tower of the hotel is unique. The inverted cone light diffuser on the top was spectacular. The bar ceilings have intricate plasterwork forming large oval light recesses which thankfully have been retained by the current owners.



Original main bar ceiling

Albury main bar ceiling

Original side bar ceiling

Original side bar ceiling

Source City of Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco info can be found at DecoWorks Pty Ltd.

The Rose, Shamrock and Thistle Hotel

The Rose Shamrock and Thistle hotel
Located at 27-33 Oxford St, Paddington, The Rose, Shamrock & Thistle Hotel was built in 1939 and is an architecturally significant Inter War Functionalist style hotel designed by the prominent specialist firm of Provost and Ancher. It replaced an earlier hotel of the same name that was located nearby.

A nice feature of this hotel are the curved windows on the first and second storey verandahs. They mirror the curve of the corner of the hotel and gives the verandahs a much more open feeling than if they were square to the facade.

Source City of Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco info can be found at DecoWorks Pty Ltd.

Kinselas Hotel

Kinselas Hotel
Kinselas Hotel at 383-387 Bourke Street, Darlinghurst contains a former funeral chapel within the building that is an important example of the work of major architect C. Bruce Dellit. Despite modifications it remains one of the finest Art Deco style interiors in metropolitan Sydney and New South Wales.

Kinselas Funeral Parlour

In the second half of 1932 the firm of Charles Kinsela engaged the young architect to remodel the building for use as a funeral parlour, to design new chapels, office and residential accommodation, preparatory to taking up occupation of the premises.

Today the remaining chapel, despite its modified state, is sufficiently intact to represent an important example of Dellit's work as a major Interwar architect. Further, it is amongst the finest remaining funery spaces in metropolitan Sydney from the 1930s and a fine local example of the Art Deco style. The porch on Bourke Street is also evidence of this phase of the building's history.
Photos don't do the space justice so if your ever in Sydney drop in for a coffee or a drink and enjoy the ambience.








The entrance to Kinselas chapel
Note the beautiful Art Deco crucifix.

Entrance to Kinselas chapel

Interior of Kinselas chapel

Interior of Kinselas chapel

Another view of Kinselas chapel

Another view inside the chapel

It's easy to see the Hyde Park Anzac War Memorial, another example of Dellit's work, in the lines of the walls and ceiling of the chapel.



Wall light fittings in the chapel

Wall lights in the chapel

The stunning chapel ceiling

Kinselas chapel ceiling

(source City of Sydney Heritage Listings)





More Art Deco info can be found at DecoWorks Pty Ltd.

The Burdekin Hotel

The Burdekin Hotel
Formerly known as The Light Brigade and The Ritz the Burdekin hotel is a well known landmark at the beginning of Oxfoed Street. The site, at 2-4 Oxford Street Darlinghurst, has historical significance because it has been occupied almost continuously by a hotel since the 1840s.

It is also significant because of its association with the prominent architectural firm of Rudder & Grout. They designed many Art Deco hotels around Sydney and the Burdekin is a good representative example of a Federation hotel with an interwar Art Deco style overlay.

Source City of Sydney Heritage Listings



Historical photographs from the Noel Butlin Archives Centre at the ANU;

- Original hotel

- After alterations

- Public bar

- Ladies parlour





More Art Deco info can be found at DecoWorks Pty Ltd.

The Woollahra Hotel

The Woollahra Hotel
Situated on the corner of Moncur and Queen St in Woollahra, the Woollahra Hotel is a nice, balanced example of an Art Deco style hotel that has a good counter lunch.

A particularly nice feature on the hotel facade is the use of different coloured bricks. The three horizontal lines of bricks behind the lettering of the hotel name are accentuated by the dark red brick set back from the paler coloured bricks. The upstairs verandah is still open on the Moncur Street side which gives an idea how the hotel originally looked.

Imaginative brick laying is a hallmark of many of the Art Deco pubs around Sydney.

The hotel was designed by Cyril Christian Ruwald (1895-1959). Ruwald was one of several architects who designed hotels for Tooth & Co during the 1930s and 1940s. Born in Redfern, Sydney, Ruwald attended Sydney Technical College and was indentured to the architects Waterhouse and Lake. In 1917 Ruwald enlisted in the Field Artillery Brigade and sailed for France, where he served during 1918.

During the 1920s Ruwald worked with Reg Prevost, a noted patron of young architects including Sydney Ancher, before spending time in Europe during the 1930s Depression. On his return Ruwald established his own practice and was instrumental in adapting the streamlined horizontal look of European modernism to hotel design. His Cross Keys Hotel, Newcastle set the pattern for many others including the Canterbury, Vauxhall, Woollahra and Premier hotels. The Beach Hotel, Merewether is perhaps the most intact of Ruwald's numerous 'modern' hotels. Ruwald also designed the Greengate (Killara) and Bull and Bush (Baulkham Hills) hotels, notable exercises in historic pastiche.

As well as hotels, Ruwald's practice encompassed apartment buildings (notably Selsdon, Macleay Street, Potts Point), banks (for the Bank of NSW) and numerous residences. A champion golfer, Ruwald designed club houses for Cammeray Golf Club and other sporting clubs. He also designed alternations to two significant Sydney buildings: the City Mutual Building, Hunter Street and the former Grand Central Hotel, York Street.

(Thanks to Heather King who enlightened me regarding regarding the hotel's architect and the Powerhouse Museum whose brief biography of Ruwald is reproduced above)






More Art Deco info can be found at DecoWorks Pty Ltd.

The Norfolk Hotel

The Norfolk Hotel
Located on the corner of Walker Street at 305 Cleveland St, Redfern, the Norfolk Hotel is a quaint Art Deco style hotel with a prominant facade. Blue neon tubes highlight the hotel's Art Deco lines in the evening.

It has had major renovations undertaken inside with little of the original decor remaining. It still posseses charm and sits proudly on corner opposite the old Empire Theatre site.

The Norfolk Hotel has one of the cosiest and private beer gardens in Surry Hills. With a varied menu they have great counter lunches which can be enjoyed under the shade trees in the beer garden.



More Art Deco info can be found on the DecoWorks website.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Dental Hospital

Dental Hospital
The Dental Hospital at 2-28 Chalmers St, Surry Hills, is one of the best examples of the interwar Functionalist style in Sydney CBD with strip windows in surrounds and strong horizontal lines demonstrating key characteristics of the style.

The original Dental Hospital on this site was built in 1910. By the 1930s it could no longer meet demands.

The new Dental Hospital was designed by Stephenson, Meldrum and Turner in 1937 and was built by H. G. Whittle.

Source Sydney Hertiage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Petersham Town Hall

Petersham Town Hall
The first Petersham Town Hall was built on this site at 105 Crystal Street in Petersham in 1882. In 1937 a plan for a new town hall, prepared by architects Rudder & Grout, was accepted and the old hall demolished.

The new building was opened in July, 1938. Much of the interior has been retained and the hall itself has some nice detailing. The building is listed in the RAIA Register of significant 20th century buildings.

The hall had a brush with fame when some of the flamboyant dancing scenes from director Baz Lurhmann's 1992 film "Strictly Ballroom" were filmed in its main auditorium.

Tower detail

Petersham Town Hall tower

Entrance detail

Petersham Town Hall entrance

The auditorium

Petersham Town Hall auditorium

Auditorium ceiling lights

Ceiling lights

Sources :
- Sydney Heritage Listing
- Marrickville Council website





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Rockdale Town Hall

Rockdale Town Hall
A Rockdale landmark, the Rockdale Town Hall at 448 Princes Highway was designed by Douglas Babbington Gardiner and built in 1940 to replace the original hall (designed by William Kenwood) on the site. This was all part of a general road widening scheme for the Princes Highway at the time.

The building has simplified Art Deco details on the exterior which is similar to the Petersham Town Hall. The interior of the hall has elaborate art deco plaster details on the walls and ceiling. The building is associated with public events such as the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953.

It is listed in the RAIA 20th Century Register Of Significant Buildings.

Clock tower detail

Rockdale Town hall clock tower

View of the auditorium

Auditorium

Auditorium ceiling light

Auditorium ceiling light

Source NSW Heritage Database




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.