Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bathurst Carillon

Bathurst Carillon
Although not a true carillon (there is no dynamic control over the striking of the bells - they are struck remotely with equal force) the Bathust carillon is counted as one of three carillons located in Australia. The others are in Canberra and the University of Sydney.

It has 35 bells and was constructed in 1933 as a memorial to the men of Bathurst and District who served in World War One. Doors commemorating both World Wars provide entry to an interior featuring an eternal flame of remembrance.

It was first played regularly by local piano techician, Hector Lupp, who was the official carillonist up until 1945. He also continued to maintain the mechanism for many years until his death in 1989.

Bathust carillon base detail

Bathust carillon base detail

Top detail

Bathurst Carillon top detail

Sources;
- Register of War Memorials
- Hector Lupp - A Son of Bathurst
- Sydney University carillon




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Abrahams Service Station

Abrahams service station is a fine example of an interwar period Art Deco style located at 46-48 Parramatta Road, Summer Hill.

Abrahams Service Station

Abrahams Service Station facade detail




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Parker Pen Factory

Parker Pen Factory
The Parker Pen Factory was located in the Art Deco style building at 159-163 Cleveland Street in Redfern. In the Darlington Conservation Area report (CA17) the fa├žade of this old factory "... also makes a contribution to the streetscape of Cleveland street as a remnant Interwar element, and is considered worthy of retention".

Hopefully it is retained if the Major Project Application which has been lodged with the Department of Planning for a mixed commercial & residential development goes ahead.

Facade detail

Parker Pen Factory facade detail

Source - NSW Government Planning




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Insurance House

The former Insurance House located at 263 George Street in the Sydney CBD is a four story building that was built in the 1900's and extensively refurbished in 1981.

It was an old GIO insurance site and now offers boutique style accommodation. It is currently the Facial Rejuvination Clinic.

Insurance House



More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Railway House

Railway house
Railway House at 19-31 York Street in the Sydney CBD is now known as Transport House. The building was completed in 1936 and was designed by H. E. Budden & Mackey in the interwar Art Deco style.

The scale and architectural quality of the building is a reflection of the importance of the Railway system to Sydney and NSW at that time.

The building displays an extensive use of green glazed terracotta tiles to the facade.


Facade detail

Railway house facade detail

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Booth House

Booth House
The nine storey building at 44 Bridge Street in the Sydney CBD is known as Booth House and was constructed in 1937-38. It is an intact example of the interwar Functionalist style office building designed by Brewster and Manderson.

It is one of only a few such office buildings in Sydney's CBD. Named Booth House after the owners Frederick H. Booth & Sons, it housed several offices and wool brokers.

The interior has been substantially altered largely due to the conversion of former office spaces. Restaurants were introduced to the basement and ground floor in 1975 and 1977.

Facade detail

Booth House facade

View from Young Street

View from Young street

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Kyle House

Kyle House
Kyle House is located at 27-31 Macquarie Place in the Sydney CBD. The McArthur Shipping and Agency Co Ltd commissioned the innovative young architect C. Bruce Dellit to design a new building for the site in 1931.

The interwar style Art Deco Kyle House opened towards the end of 1931. The building was constructed by Stuart Bros.

One of the prominant features of Dellit's design is the impressive granite entrance portal and stairways.

The central clock between the the two stairways under the porch arch is also a novel feature.

Main entrance

Main entrance to Kyle House

Facade detail

Facade detail

Top of the building

Top of the building
Source - Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

AFT House

AFT House
Located at 16-18 O'Connell Street in the Sydney CBD AFT House was previously known as Delfin House and Bank of NSW House.

AFT House, originally a banking chamber with offices above, exemplifies the Art Deco style.

Built in 1940 and designed by architect C Bruce Dellit it is one of Australia's finest examples of the Art Deco office building.

The ceiling in the right hand side foyer contains Dellit's signature design element stepped pyramids. These features can also be seen in the chapel in Kinsella's funeral parlour at Taylor Square and also the ANZAC War memorial in Hyde Park.

The granite archway

The granite archway

Facade detail under archway

Facade detail under archway

Right hand entrance foyer light

Right hand entrance foyer light

Refief sculptures on doors

Refief sculptures on doors

Source - Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Manufacturers Mutual House

Also known as Swaab House and Manufacturer's House it is located at 12-14 O'Connell Street in the Sydney CBD.

A nine storey building built for the NSW Chamber of Manufacturers in 1935 in a modest interwar Art Deco Style. The architect was S H Buchanan Cowper.

Manufacturers Mutual House

Entrance to Manufacturers Mutual

Entrance to Manufacturers Mutual

Entrance to Manufacturers Mutual detail

Entrance to Manufacturers Mutual detail
Source - Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Elizabeth House

Elizabeth House
Elizabeth House located at 230 Elizabeth Street in Surry Hills is currently a residential strata plan registered in 1998. Known as Elizabeth House it is listed in the RAIA register of 20th century buildings of significance.

The building was designed by the prominent Australian architect Emil Sodersten it was built in 1939. Sydney Council records show that the owner was listed as City Mutual Life Assurance Society Ltd. They owned it until to at least 1975.

Another view of the building

Elizabeth House





More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

RM Williams House

RM Williams House
RM Williams House, located at 389 George Street in Sydney, was originally a three storey building built on a very narrow site in 1935. The brick building maked full use of the restrictions of the small corner site it occupied.

At some time after 1953 it had a fourth storey sympathetically added to increase floorspace.

A picture of the original three storey building can be found at the State Library of NSW.

There was a Penfolds wine restaurant there in the 1950s and the building is commonly known as RM Williams house.

Detail of additional storey

Fourth storey detail

Sources
- State Library Listings
- Sydney Council heritage database




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Friday, December 4, 2009

CML Building

CML Building
Built in 1936, the City Mutual Life Assurance Building at 60-66 Hunter Street is one of the foremost examples of high quality and well-designed commercial Art Deco architecture in Sydney's CBD.

It was the first private commercial building to be fully air-conditioned in Sydney. The serrated or zigzag window treatment to the street (also found on the Queensland Insurance Building in Pitt Street by Sodersten, 1940) allows much greater control of direct sunlight from one direction, while still allowing a view from the other.

The impressive black marble entrance porch supports a base relief sculpture by Raynor Hoff called "The Flight from Vesuvius". Hoff had previously finished his tour-de-force at the ANZAC War Memorial in Hyde Park before this commission.

The CML building represents the culmination of the work of one of Australia's foremost proponents of this style, Emil Sodersten.

Main entrance porch

CML entrance porch

"Flight from Vesuvius" detail

The Flight from Vesuvious

Rokpool restaurant

Rockpool restaurant

Side entrance foyer

CML side entrance foyer

Sources;
- Sydney Heritage Listings
- Sydney architecture / Jahn, Graham. Published 1997.




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Commonwealth Bank Spit Junction

Commonwealth Bank Spit Junction
The Commonwealth Bank at 58 Spit Road in Spit Junction is another Art Deco gem built in 1935 by Messrs Hutcherson Bros of Stanmore Road, Petersham and supervised by the Department of the Interior, Works and Services Branch of NSW. It was completed in August 1935.

During work in 1978 the exterior ‘cantilevered’ awning was extended across and above the main entrance of the branch. The branch closed in April 1998.

Thankfully the awning was subsequently removed much to the benefit of the building.

Facade detail

Branch facade detail

The branch in 1977

The branch in 1977

The branch in 1978

The branch in 1978

The branch in 1992

The branch in 1992

Source - Commonwealth Bank Archives Department





More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Commonwealth Bank - Town Hall

Commonwealth Bank - Town Hall
Since 1911 the Commonwealth Bank Town Hall site at 546 George Street in Sydney was a retail outlet for furnishing retailer Morley Johnsons. An additional two floors were added to the building around 1938 and Art Deco syled fluting added to the facade.

When Morley Johnsons closed their doors they sold the building to the Commonwealth Bank in 1964. The Commonwealth Bank has maintained a branch there ever since.

Facade detail

Commonwealth Bank - Town Hall facade detail

Before (circa 1930s) and after (circa 1960s

Town Hall branch historical photo




More Art Deco inforamtion can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

QBE Building

QBE Building
The QBE building at 80-82A Pitt Street in the Sydney CBD was previously known as Bryant House which was built for the City Mutual Life Assurance Association as an investment property.

The building was designed by Emil Sodersten in association with T. W. Hodgson and Sons and was constructed by Hutcherson Bros in 1939.

The building features an unusual serrated facade of textured face brick above a polished granite plinth with simple Art Deco mouldings. The original Art Deco detailing of the entry foyer and lift lobby remains intact.

Facade detail

QBE facade detail

Window detail

QBE window detail

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Luna Park

Luna Park
Luna Park at 1 Olympic Drive in Milson's Point is one of Sydney Harbour's major landmarks and is a rare surviving example of an amusement park and fantasy architecture in the Art Deco idiom of the 1930s. The towers, more than any other feature of the park, epitomised the then fashionable Art Deco style of architecture, emphasised by the innovative and exciting lighting effects.

The first entrance to Luna Park was constructed by Stuart Bros in 1935 to a design by Rupert Browne, based on his entrance to Melbourne's Luna Park at St Kilda. The original entrance and famous face were remodelled in 1939, 1947, 1953, 1960 and again in 1973.

The twin towers have scalloped spires obviously influenced by the design of the Chrysler Building in New York, a masterpiece of Art Deco and the tallest building in the world when it was erected in 1930.

More detailed information on the history of Luna Park can found following the "source" link below.

Entrance tower detail

Entrance tower detail

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

Asbestos House

Asbestos House
Asbestos House at 65-69 York Street in the Sydney CBD was designed by Robertson and Marks in association with John Reid and Sons in 1927.

It was planned in two parts; the first was completed in 1928-29, and the second in 1934-35 to a design by the same architects.

The building was praised for its delicate colouring (external terracotta) and its harmonious design.

Also known as James Hardy House, the building is listed in the RAIA Registry of Significant 20th Century Buildings.

York Street entrance

York Street entrance

Source Sydney Heritage Listings




More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.

ANZAC War Memorial

ANZAC War Memorial
The ANZAC War Memorial in Sydney's Hyde Park South is aesthetically significant as the finest work of architect C. Bruce Dellit and is one of the finest examples of interwar Stripped Classical and Art Deco styles in Australia.

It is also an examplar of the work of the most renowned Australian sculptor of the time, Rayner Hoff. It was built by Kell & Rigby builders in 1933-1934.

The stepped pyramid design on the roof is a signature of Dellit's work. This design is reflected in the ceiling of the chapel in Kinselas Hotel just up the road on Taylor square.

Facade detail

War memorial detail

Source Sydney Heritage Listings





More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.